Experiences of Recruiting for a small Startup
Sometime back I posted following message on LinkedIn about Recruitment of juniors and freshers for D10X
This post is about my experiences during this 'recruitment attempt'. Question I want to ask you. Are these common experiences ?
- Interested applicants don't even read the full post/details before applying
I updated post original post and asked everyone not to 'post' on LinkedIn Talent Search. Still people kept on posting on LinkedIn talent search.
I also asked for emailing the resume to firstname.lastname@example.org mail id. Still candidates kept posting "i am interested" comments in the LinkedIn thread, instead of emailing me.
- If you are applying for programming job, then you need to give a programming test.
We sent applicants an email with 3 Code Kata problem statements and asked them to solve the problems in any programming language of their choice. I wanted to see if they have an "aptitude for programming". These are really small problems. Something you can solve in half hour.
Approx. 3 out of 10 candidates responded back. Others (6-7 out of 10) just did not respond in-spite of their "i am interested" msgs.
- Rampant Copy/pasting of programming solutions:
The candidates which sent the replies, majority of them copy/pasted solutions from 'geeksforgeeks'. Few could not even explain the logic. Few copy/pasted 'half the code' (some functions called in the code but implementation of those functions was missing). If you can't code binary search on your own and still expect a 'high programming job', then its just not going to work.
- Exorbitant salary expectations.
Case in point : 1 year experience on a nearly dead language. Mostly maintenance work. No serious experience of web development. Good analytical skills. Current salary 12 lakh pa. Expected salary 16-18 lakh. In a way, he is right to expect more salary than in current one but expecting 50% rise on an already high salary !!! Don't know what to comment. Still it seems some candidates do get such hikes. May its just my perception.
- Are really interested in Learning or just high salary ?Few cases guys claimed that he wants to change job because he wants to learn. So I offered to give exact same salary as current salary for first 3 months. I promised 20% raise after 3 months, if he is good. If you are interested in Learning and really convinced that you will learn more in D10X, then you should be ready to do demonstrate that you will learning more than salary